French Polynesia has reopened to international tourism from July 15th, 2020.
Since July 15th, 2020, quarantine measures are lifted and French Polynesia’s borders re-open to international tourism from all countries. All travelers are subject to the following mandatory conditions:
RT-PCR Covid-19 test is mandatory for all passengers 6 years of age or older. The test has to be a molecular SARS-CoV-2 genome detection for Covid-19 by Reverse Transcriptase-Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) performed by a qualified professional.
The document with the results of this test must clearly state:
- A negative result
- Test type being RT-PCR
- Date test taken
- Name of individual/passenger
- The medical document must be issued by a Doctor, Hospital or Medical Clinic and must be presented to airline staff upon check-in prior to boarding the flight to French Polynesia.
Please note that Antigen, Antibody, Self Testing or Rapid Tests of any kind, including rapid RT-PCR tests such as the Abbott ID are not accepted by the Health Authorities of French Polynesia and aircraft boarding will be denied.
These are normally performed via nasopharyngeal swab and they detect the genetic information of the virus, the RNA, and show a positive result only if the virus is present and someone is actively infected. RT-PCR tests are used to detect the presence of the body’s immune response. By detecting viral RNA, which will be present in the body before antibodies form or symptoms of the disease are present, these tests can tell whether or not someone has the virus very early on. RT-PCR tests have an extremely high degree of reliability.
Prior to bording:
- Proof of a negative RT-PCR test (list of approved and non-approved tests) carried out within three days prior to their international air departure; Except for children 5 and under.
- Present the receipt of the health registration on the Etis.pf platform (Electronic Travel Information System) ;
During the stay:
- Self-test 4 days after arrival in The Islands of Tahiti.
From August 12 – August 25 the authorities of French Polynesia have implemented the following measures (subject to extension):
- Closing of discos and nightclubs
- Meetings of more than 50 people on the public highway or in any place open to the public are subject to prior permission from the Office of the High Commissioner
- Application of strict rules in restaurants and bars (patrons must be seated, maintain a minimum distance of 1 meter between each table, and wearing a mask is mandatory by everyone when moving around the establishment)
- Wearing of masks is mandatory in all shops, water taxis/ferry transportation, airplanes, public ground transport, airports and ferry terminals. Requirements will be enforced by controls and sanctions. Failure to comply with these requirements is punishable by a fine of up to €745.82
If you are in Southern California a RT-PCR nasal swab test may be obtained from: https://www.goodlifemedicalservices.com/ at their drive thru location, open 9:00 AM-2:00 PM daily:
8713 Beverly Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90048
The cost for an expedited 24 hour turn-around time is $225 with insurance and $270 without insurance. When booking the test please use code “AT010” and indicate in the referral box, “Air Tahiti Nui” Please note that the test may not be taken earlier than three days prior to departure.
For Sunday departures, please test on Friday between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM, for a Saturday afternoon result, or on Thursday for a Friday afternoon result.
For Tuesday departures, test on Saturday, for a Monday result or on Monday for a Tuesday afternoon result. For Friday departures you may test on Tuesday, results on Wednesday, or Wednesday with results on Thursday, or Thursday with results on Friday afternoon.
In all cases it is recommended not to leave testing until the last possible moment and ATN does not guarantee the test result delivery. Note testing time is 9:00 AM-2:00 PM.
Please note that Air Tahiti Nui does not guarantee the timely delivery of the test result, which is the responsibility of the consumer and the medical provider. This test site is suggested and the consumer may use any alternate test site within the conditions of the testing RT-PCR nasal swab being performed within three days of departure.
For all other areas of the US, various test centers may be located using this web application. However - please insure that the test is a RT-PCR based test and note the time constraints: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2ec47819f57c40598a4eaf45bf9e0d16
It is recommended to contact your Physician or a local urgent care center who may also be able to recommend a RT-PCR testing site or perform the test themselves.
The entry requirements for French Polynesia stipulate that testing must be done no earlier than three prior to departure of the flight to Tahiti. It is strongly suggested that this test be conducted as soon as possible three days before departure, to ensure the test result prior to flight departure.
All passengers must present a medical certificate issued by the testing location showing a negative RT-PCR test upon check-in for their Air Tahiti Nui flight. Without this test documentation, the airline absolutely is not able to board any passenger. If a test result is positive, you may change your travel date without charge from Air Tahiti Nui. Please check with your connecting airline for their ticket conditions.
For further information on entry requirements please visit the Tahiti Tourisme website by clicking the following link:
For a list of all accepted RT-PCR tests by the Ministry of Health, French Polynesia, click here
It is the passengers responsibility to secure all necessary tests and to follow these guidelines for entry.